Painful as it may be, please take two minutes out of your life to peruse the following list of "accomplishments" touted by an Obama campaign website making its case for his re-election.
The huge voter surge in 2008 elected Barack Obama, the first African American president. In the face of non-stop opposition, he pushed through:
- Affordable Health Care Act extends coverage to 35 million uninsured people, outlaws denial of coverage for pre-existing conditions and extends until age 26 coverage of children under their parents [sic] plans.
- Lily Ledbetter Fair Pay Act for equal pay for women.
- Stabilized the economy with $789 billion American Recovery and Reinvestment Act that saved or created 3 million jobs. Invested billions in clean energy jobs, saved the auto industry.
- Unemployment benefits for millions of workers despite Republican threats to shut down the government. Obama was forced to yield on Bush-era tax cuts for the rich that he wanted to terminate.
- Appointed two women to the U.S. Supreme Court, including the first Latina woman, who support the rights of working people.
- Established the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and used a recess-appointment to name the director over Republican opposition.
- Created a new food safety agency to protect people from food-borne illness.
- Ended profit-grab by private banks on students [sic] loans, reestablishing Federal control on these loans and used the savings to extend loans to more students.
- Doubled the funding for Pell Grants to $32 billion, increasing size of the grant $819 to a maximum of $5,500.
- Ended the war in Iraq and moved toward ending the war in Afghanistan.
Dull, isn't it? It's dull because you have heard it all before. The Democratic National Convention resounded with these talking points all week long. Obama and his surrogates have recited them all for months, years.
And from which "Obama 2012" website did I copy and paste this dreadful resume of progressive policy and executive overreach?
Actually, I copied it from the website of the Communist Party USA.